- 1 Pack Carando Sweet Italian Sausage1 Pack
- 4 Hoagie Rolls4
- 1 Head Green Cabbage, Sliced1 Head
- 1 Fennel Bulb, Sliced Thin1
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced1
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper, Diced1
- 3 Jalapeno, Diced3
- 3 Cups Cider Vinegar3 Cups
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar3 Cups
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard Seed1 Tablespoon
- 2 Teaspoons Turmeric2 Teaspoons
- 2 Teaspoons Celery Seed2 Teaspoons
- 2 Cinnamon Stick2
- 6 Bay Leaf6
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt2 Tablespoons
- ¼ Cup Fresh Oregano, Chopped¼ Cup
- Dijon Mustard, as desired
In a large pot, whisk together the cider vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, turmeric, celery seed, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
When the brine comes to a boil, add the cabbage, fennel, onion, and peppers.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
Drain the vegetables, reserving the liquid. Return the liquid to a boil and reduce by ½.
Add the oregano and pour over the cooked vegetables, allowing them to completely cool. This should be done at least one day ahead. The mixture will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Prepare the grill.
When the grill is medium-hot, grill the sausages until cooked through but still juicy and allow them to rest for about 5 minutes.
While the sausages are cooling, toast the rolls on the grill.
To serve, slice the sausages, dress the rolls with the desired amount of Dijon mustard. Place 1/4 of the slices in each roll, and top with the desired amount of chow chow.