- 1 Package Carando Ground Toscano Sausage1 Package
- 8 Cloves Fresh Garlic, Minced8 Cloves
- 4 Tablespoons Yellow Onion, Diced4 Tablespoons
- 3 Carrots, Peeled and Diced3
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste3 Tablespoons
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated½ Cup
- 2 Cups Cooked Jasmine Rice2 Cups
- 1 Head Napa Cabbage1 Head
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil¼ Cup
- ½ Cup White Wine½ Cup
- 1 Can San Marzano Tomatoes, Crushed1 Can
- ½ Cup Beef Stock½ Cup
- ¼ Cup Fresh Basil, Minced¼ Cup
- 2 Tablespoons Calabrian Chilis, Chopped2 Tablespoons
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
Crumble the sausage into the pan and brown, breaking up any large clumps with a wooden spoon.
When the sausage is fully cooked, add half the garlic, half the onion, all of the carrots and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring often.
Stir in the tomato paste and parmesan to bind the ingredients, add the rice, and combine thoroughly.
Heat another pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and remaining garlic and onions.
Sauté until the vegetables are tender, deglaze with the wine, then add the tomatoes and beef stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Remove any tough outer leaves from the cabbage, then remove 12 large leaves, being careful to keep them intact.
Blanch the leaves in the boiling water until pliable, then remove and rinse under cold water. Do in batches, if necessary.
Pat the cabbage leaves dry.
Lay out the cabbage leaves in batches and top each with about ½ cup of the sausage mixture.
Fold the sides toward the middle, then roll the packages away from you to make a roll. Repeat with the remaining leaves, making sure to keep the packages seam side down.
When the sauce has cooked for 10 minutes, stir in the basil and Calabrian chilis, and transfer to a baking dish.
Nestle the packages into the sauce and cook for about 20 minutes, or until heated through.